Hope Beyond Hype
Hope Beyond Hype - A comic about stem cells from discovery to therapy!
The story provides a realistic and accurate introduction to the complex process of developing best practice clinical stem cell-based treatments, in an interesting and engaging way. We believe it is important to engage people with our work and therefore hope the graphic story will be useful for public events, new patients and carers, patient advocacy groups, educationalists, public engagement practitioners and researchers.
Also available in 11 other languages!
French, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish (select language at the top)
Hope Beyond Hype: other formats
- PDF file for download (35MB)
- Print copies available for purchase on the University of Edinburgh's ePay site.
- Make your own classroom activity or card game! See the attached files below!
About this Project
The Hope Beyond Hype graphic story grew from the desire of OptiStem, a large European consortium of stem cell researchers, to go beyond just explaining the science of stem cells. They wanted to depict the process they undertake as they try to move stem cell research on towards clinical trials and therapies.
- Read Ken MacLeod's account of producing the comic.
- Read Cathy Southworth's article describing what led her to the comic format
- Listen to Ken MacLeod and Edward Ross discussing the comic with Alex Fitch in this Panel Borders podcast.