We hope you enjoy ‘Hope Beyond Hype’: a story about stem cell therapies from lab bench to hospital bedside. Help us evaluate this comic by completing a short survey (Amazon vouchers up for grabs!)
Launch the interactive version of Hope Beyond Hype
Click the comic above to read the story in online flipbook form, watch videos and explore additional resources and layers of information, ask questions and leave feedback.
Hope Beyond Hype: other formats
- Online flipbook in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish and Czech
- PDF file for download (35MB)
- Print copies available for purchase on the University of Edinburgh's ePay site.
- More information about using the comic in the classroom.
About this project
The Hope Beyond Hype graphic story grew from the desire of OptiStem, a large European consortium of stem cell researchers, to go beyond just explaining the science of stem cells. They wanted to depict the process they undertake as they try to move stem cell research on towards clinical trials and therapies.
- Read Ken MacLeod's account of producing the comic.
- Read Cathy Southworth's article describing what led her to the comic format
- Listen to Ken MacLeod and Edward Ross discussing the comic with Alex Fitch in this Panel Borders podcast.
- Listen to Ken MacLeod discussing the comic in this Scottish Book Trust podcast (from 16'30")
OptiStem is a pan-European stem cell research project funded by the European Commission under FP7. It brings together scientists, companies and clinicians from 18 institutions across six countries. During the course of the five year OptiStem project, members will carry out four different clinical trials concerning muscular dystrophy, severe corneal injury in the eye and severe damage to the oral mucosa (inside of mouth). OptiStem partners with EuroStemCell to tell people about the work they do.